Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rainy Riding

I went to the opera tonight (a university production). Even though
the forecast was for rain, I went by bike (carrying the appropriate
rain gear).

Sure enough, at 11:00 I emerged from the opera to be greeted by cold, steady rain. Suit up! I cried.

Now, I frequently ride in the rain. Since I'm committed to commuting
by bike, and considering that I rode through snow and over ice all
winter, rain does not pose much of a challenge. But it's nice to stay
dry. And at night, it's nice to have my sidewall generator work. Both
have not always been true.

Here's what has always worked: My cheapie cheapie Nashbar plastic
raincoat (about $15). Pure, 100%, waterproof, unbreathable plastic.
But with the vents all down the sides, open waist, and (my
innovation) the elastic removed from the wrists to allow air flow up
the sleeves, the condensation inside is not bad. I was basically dry
tonight after riding five miles in steady rain. Sure, the velcro in
the front started to tear out a while back, but gray tape fixed that.

Here's what has never worked: Coated nylon rain pants. I have tried
several brands, and they all leave me wet. The current ones (J and G)
are pretty good, but I'm still wet when I arrive. Condensation?
Maybe. I have recently taken to rolling them up a little so that I
can leave the bottoms loose (rather than fastening the velcro straps
that seal the legs off). That seems to help a little. I was only a
little wet tonight.

Here's what is gradually getting better as I work on it: The
"waterproof" shoe covers from Campmor. The coated nylon may be
waterproof, but the seams certainly weren't. So I've been applying
seam sealer, and they're drier. One more coat should do it.

And what do I do about the helmet vents? Buy an expensive helmet
bonnet? Nope. A little gray tape works wonders. With the vents taped
shut, the helmet is warmer and totally waterproof. (Obviously, I
don't wear it for recreational biking in the summer.)

Now for the sidewall generator. For years I had the B and M generator
set high on the Panaracer Pasela, right on the edge of the tread.
(Paselas don't have a generator strip.) As soon as the tire got wet,
the generator skipped, so much that it was pretty much useless in the
rain. But with my new cheapie Kendas, which have a generator strip,
the generator gripped the tire the whole way home, almost never
skipping. Problem solved! I don't need to buy the wire roller.

To my colleagues who watched me head out into the rain, I must have
looked insane. It was 40 degrees, dark, raining, windy. But you know, once you commit yourself to it, and have adequate gear (I was thankful for
my gloves and hat), it's not so bad. My face got wet and a little
chilly, but not too bad. The rest of me was warm and relatively dry.
I wouldn't have been happy after 20 miles, probably. But I was fine
for five miles. And it was such a pleasure to have all the gear
working right. And, of course, it helps to have a bike that is fun to
ride. That's the real secret.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I had to go to the wire roller.

    I share your enthusiasm for the right gear, and the pleasure in having it work!!

    ReplyDelete