Friday, March 13, 2009

Crank Talk

And I don't mean cranky talk. I was reading a discussion about what
people like and don't like about various cranks. That's right:
cranks. The things the pedals are fastened to. Now I have some
opinions about cranks (such as, I don't like cottered ones), but
mostly, I just want my cranks to connect the pedals with the chain,
spin freely, and not break. I'm not too worried about Q factor. I
don't care how shiny they are. I don't care how light they are. And I
don't care whether the crank arm swoops or goes straight.

People who do care aren't artistic bike savants. They're--ahem--
pathetic. Get a life!

I have my pathetic attitudes about other things. Perhaps the fact that
I don't care about cranks makes me pathetic. But seriously. Who cares
how lustrous a bike's cranks are? Do we polish our bikes every time
we take them out on a sunny Saturday? Maybe so.

Maybe that was cranky talk, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment