Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Misc

A blog that no one reads is also known as a "diary". I'm a modern Samuel Pepys. This will be a "primary source" for future historians researching biking in the early twenty-first century.

Hah.

A the risk of making my bike an utterly outrageous collection of bolted on doo-dads, I have ordered a set of Reelights, the battery-less blinkies that use induction created by magnets on the spokes passing a fixed magnet to light LED front and back lights.

I already have generator lights on the bike, so this will be a second set of lights. Probably ridiculous. But I like the idea of having always-on blinkies, day and night. I can't run the generator all the time. Tires would wear out faster, and the increased drag and steady (if soft) whirring would drive me crazy. So I'm going to put these Reelights on as the always on lights.

Although it's a new toy, so important for maintaining my good humor, I also like to think it's a good idea to have blinkies on during the day. Bike riders do get hit by cars; the more we can do to get their attention has to help. I'm not willing to install safety flags or giant warning triangles. (But perhaps I should.) But I'm going to try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment