Monday, April 6, 2009

Toe Clips

For two years now, I have ridden without toe clips (or step-in pedals). I rode on a 700 mile loaded tour without toe clips last summer. It was fine.

At the time I gave them up, I was having knee pain. I have had none since. Cause and effect? Maybe.

In any case, I've had two strapless, unclipped years (six thousand miles, or so). My one complaint is that sometimes my foot slips on the pedal. Not a big deal, but for the sake of tinkering I decided to put the old strapless (plastic) toe clips on the commuting Trek. I figured, strapless clips, ugly though they may be, are a compromise. They keep the feet from sloshing around, but they don't lock them into any set position.

So here's what I've noticed in the week of semi-clipped in riding: It's ok. I think my pedal stroke is smoother, and I can pedal in a lower gear without fear of my feet flying off. Perhaps if I can remember to do that, I can avoid knee pain. There's no way that toe clips give a lot of power from pulling up on the up stroke. But the smoother spinning may make a difference. And it's nice to be able to adjust the pedals when stopped at a light.

So I'll leave them on for now. I may take them off later, particularly if my knees start hurting again.

UPDATE:
I was not liking the "toe clips" today, so I rode without them. I liked it better. My feet, legs, and knees are more relaxed, and I don't think the spinning is any worse. The only thing I don't like is not being able to adjust the pedals while standing at a stop light. Not a big problem. So I guess I'll take the "toe clips" off.

I do this once a season. Deep in my psyche is the conviction that a bike needs toe clips. I grew up with that idea. I've tried to convince many biking novices about the necessity of toe clips. So I put the clips (or the Power Grips) on, ride for a while, then get over it. They just aren't necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment