Saturday, February 28, 2009

More on Rims and Tires

Well, maybe it isn't the rims. Maybe it was the tires. But a set of
Pasela 32s, 35s, AND Schwalbe Marathon 37s? They're all super loose;
the wire bead tires don't stay on the rims at all.

But now I put on these Kenda folding 38s, and they fit perfectly.
Will they be junk tires? I don't know. At $14 each, I'm willing to
take my chances.

But what's the deal with the other tires? Are the Kendas (and the
rims) extra small? Are all the other tires extra large? None of those
options seems very likely.

I'm happy to be able to try 38s on the touring bike. They fit under the fenders and within the stays and forks. They even have a generator strip! I like to have the touring Trek be different from the Rambouillet, tire-wise. I have a set of Pasela 32s that I'll put on the Rambouillet, so both bikes will be upgrading to fatter tires. The 32s, after all, are the same as the 1 1/4s that were the standard size on clincher tires for years and years. They should be nice on the Rambouillet.

1 comment: