Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Today's Ride, February 26

Pretty nice snowy ride today on the slush mobile. Two or three inches of snow had fallen (and continued to fall), but the sidewalks (on which I mostly ride) hadn't been crudded up with plow excrement, and there weren't even too many footprints. Not at all unpleasant.

Even when the car went through the pothole and drenched me with muddy, salty, black water, well, it was just part of the winter biking experience. Not my first choice of things to have happen, but it didn't kill me or even make me particularly uncomfortable.

The goggles make riding in the cold and snow possible. (So, for example, the waterfall covered my goggles but not my eyes.) Get some.

And I maintain, I strongly maintain, that it's worth tinkering with a commuting bike, even an old beater of a slush mobile, to make it more fun to ride, because fun is what it's all about. Commuting by car may be comfortable, but it's not fun. Commuting by bike may be uncomfortable, but it's fun. I prefer that.

The Technomic stem is just too long (forward sticking). My back has started to hurt from all the leaning over. Time to get a shorter stem, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment