Sunday, February 24, 2008

Slush Mobile Update

I don't like straight-across mountain bikey handlebars. They make my elbows hurt, and my hands get bored in that single position.

Since I had a set of moustache bars lying around (and lots of spare cables and housing), I just needed to get a new set of shifters and then I could put the m-bars on the slush mobile. How about this for a deal: Thumb shifters for $.99 at Nashbar. Falcons. Not Campy, but they work.

Now, with the stem raiser, the Nitto Technomic stem, and the m-bars, the bike is a lot more interesting. I need a shorter (that is, less stick-forwardy) stem to bring the bars closer to me, then they'll be perfect. But since I really don't want to put much money into this bike, I may hold off on the new stem.

The ride today was almost spring-like. Only residual ice patches on the roads and sidewalks, and it was warm enough that I didn't need most of my winter warm gear.

Luckily, in case I have been lulled into thinking spring is here, there's a winter storm watch for the next several days. That's more like it.

Since I'm now riding the slush mobile in winter conditions, I felt free to put the new 700c wheels (made by Rich at Rivendell) on the Trek 620. I was able to make the canti brakes (which had been set for 27" wheels) hit the rims, so I didn't need to swap in the old Mafac Racer brakes I have lying around (although I kind of wanted to). I haven't taken it for its maiden voyage yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment