Friday, December 20, 2013

Neck Gaiter, Wool vs. Fleece

More wool-mystique debunking: The wool worshipers (you know who you are) argue that wool is always better for everything. Here's their favorite line: It's even warm when it's wet! So I've been using a thin wool neck gaiter for years, which I pull up over my mouth and nose when it's cold. By the end of my five-mile ride, it's soaking wet. Warm? Maybe, but soaking wet and uncomfortable. Even more annoying, once it gets soaking wet, my breath doesn't pass through it very well. Instead, it leaks out the top and fogs my goggles (despite their anti-fog coating).

Enter the new fleece gaiter: It wicks moisture away from my face, so it doesn't feel wet by the end of my commute. And because it's not sopping wet, my breath still passes through it. Goggles don't fog as much. Fleece wins this round.


No comments:

Post a Comment