Sunday, November 17, 2013

More "Same Rules, Same Rights"

Bike Snob New York City (don't have the link handy) posted a rant in response to a foolish article in the New York Times about biker rights and responsibility, ostensibly having to do with the unjust sentencing of car drivers who kill bikers, but actually blaming bike riders for getting themselves killed.

While BSNYC went a little overboard, his central point was right on: Bikes and Cars DON'T have the same rights and responsibilities. As I have mentioned in these "pages" before.

We (I'm speaking as a bike rider now) can (and must) ride on the shoulder; cars can't. We can't signal our turns with turn signals, especially at night; cars must. Even in the daylight, signaling a turn with one hand while hanging on to a loaded bike with the other hand while traveling at speed is exceptionally dangerous; I mostly choose not to do signal. We can park on the sidewalk; cars can't. We can sit forever at vehicle actuated traffic lights; cars don't. (As an aside: my favorite vehicle actuated traffic light is on Hagadorn Rd, which has a speed limit of 55. If I go over the sensors just right, I can activate the green light, but because it's set for a car going 55, IT ALWAYS TURNS RED BEFORE I CAN GET TO IT. And then I'm stuck forever at a red light. Cars don't have that problem.)

Does that mean we should be assholes and flout the law? Well . . . maybe not assholes, and maybe not flout. But yes, when I'm at that infinite red light, I run it (after carefully looking both ways). I always treat stop signs like yield signs, particularly the two signs on Hamilton Rd. that were put there  specifically to harass and slow through-traffic; I don't think bikes were the problem.

On the other hand, when I am behaving like a vehicle in traffic, I do tend to stop at red lights, at least when there are cars around, even at 6:00 AM. It just seems like a good PR move. And when I'm riding on a city street that has no shoulder, I exercise my rights as a vehicle and take the lane when there's oncoming traffic to prevent idiots from either crowding me off the road or to prevent the idiot from running the other car off the road. (Which isn't really my problem, but I figure I should help prevent road rage in others, particularly if I get blamed for it.)

BSNYC's big omission was one that several of his commenters made: Always assume cars are driven by drunks talking on cell phones and eating BBQ ribs. Lights (many lights), reflectors (many reflectors), rear-view mirror to see them coming, and neon clothing. And yes, I do wear a helmet although I'm not a helmet fanatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment