Monday, March 3, 2008

More About Sidewalks

Fairly unpleasant ride in the cold rain today. Not miserable, just unpleasant. Actually, more uncomfortable than unpleasant.

The thing about riding on sidewalks is that it's fun. It's like being a kid again, going on "bike rides". When I was ten or so, my parents said I could ride anywhere within an area of about four square miles: Stadium Blvd (on the west) to Liberty St (on the north) to Main St (on the east) to Stadium Blvd (which curved around to the south). We'd pack a lunch and set out, exploring every neighborhood, every street, every parking lot, every park, riding the whole time on the sidewalks. Those bike rides are among my fondest childhood memories. With whom did I ride? I don't quite remember. There are several possibilities. Not Jon.

Anyway, riding on the sidewalk is fun. It's like trail riding. Add a little snow and ice, and it's downright exciting. Road riding is more proper, more vehicular, but it's a little more boring.

When I first started commuting by bike (ten years ago?), riding on the sidewalk was what made me want to do it every day. It didn't feel like work (mostly).

I took an alternate route for part of today's ride, one that took me on the (wide) shoulder of a very busy two-lane highway. It was not fun. The road was smoother, and I was able to keep up a nice steady pedal cadence, but it felt a little hectic and, well, dangerous.

I rode the sidwalk home.

No comments:

Post a Comment