Saturday, June 20, 2015

Really?

I love/hate bike listserv discussion boards. It's such a pissing contest. Today someone said that he likes a certain handlebar for short rides . . . under 100 miles. Says he can ride in Carhartt shorts and boxers when doing 50 miles. But when doing 200 miles, well, that's different.

I could probably ride 200 miles, but it would count as epic/heroic/insane. My 132-mile day was very very long. Not insane, not heroic, a bit epic. But to go another 68 miles? I don't think so. And I'm fantastically fit (for an old guy).

So when these people casually say, "Yes, well (yawn) when I'm riding 200 miles I like to prepare a little better," I'm inclined not to believe them. I am compelled to believe them, because who could get away with such lies on a bicycle discussion board? But I'm inclined not to.

Quite frankly, when I go out for a 50-mile ride, I notice it. I can do it, and I do it often in summer. But I notice it.

Well. Humph. I guess the 200-mile guy wins the pissing contest.


1 comment:

  1. You wimp! Buy a bigger schwanz! And the shorter handlebars.

    ReplyDelete