Friday, March 13, 2015

Brooklyn Bridge

I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge today, as I like to do when I visit my sister- and brother-in-law in Brooklyn. Today was one of the first warm-ish, sunny days this winter, and the bridge at noon was absolutely packed with tourists, most of them not speaking English.

Needless to say, they weren't observing the pedestrian vs. bicycle lane designations. The were aimlessly walking six abreast, weaving and staggering in and out of the bike lane as they took in the NY skyline, looked up at the bridge, and took selfies.

One biker, while weaving around them, was pointing down at the lane divider with exaggerated movements whenever he passed a transgressor, saying with his gesture, "Stay in your lane!"

But why was he bothering? That undulating mass of people was composed of 99% tourists. This was their first and last day on the Brooklyn Bridge. This bike rider had already passed them. What did he care if they moved into the correct lane? They'd be gone tomorrow, and another batch of ditzy tourists would take their place. No amount of preaching to today's tourists would change tomorrow's tourists' behavior.

I am completely capable of being that self-righteous biker, but I'm glad I wasn't. Just slow down, try not to knock anyone into the East River, take a little longer to get over the bridge, and enjoy the sun.

1 comment:

  1. I know it's not possible to knock anyone into the east river because there are highway lanes between the pedestrian walkway and the water.

    ReplyDelete