Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Epic Winter Continues

The temperature has been consistently in single digits or below zero most mornings this semester. Today was warm at 19˚. Tomorrow they're predicting -1˚. Next week, lots of 0˚ predictions. Sheesh.

It was -9˚ one day last week. I was warm enough (even without the snow pants, just long johns and MUSA pants), but my goggles iced over, almost completely. That's a big problem. You can't see, but you can't take them off. You even hate to expose your hands long enough to take them off and scrape out the ice (on the inside, of course).

Now we're getting 5" of snow on top of the icy, cut-up snow that was already there. That with -1˚ is going to make for an unpleasant ride tomorrow. Sigh. This is the most severe winter of my bike-commuting career. I'm doing it, but I'm not really enjoying it very much. Spring, if it ever comes, will be sweet.

Update: We got 7" today on top of 6" over the weekend, much of which was smashed down by cars and pedestrians rather than plowed up. That kind of conditions, new snow that has been chopped up and smashed down by cars and pedestrians on top of similarly chopped up old snow, makes riding literally impossible. The bike simply doesn't roll through that crap. I had to push my bike the last 1/2 mile. Perhaps my Trek with the studded 38mm (1.5") tires would have been able to cut through the slop better than the 2" tires.

If our street isn't plowed by tomorrow morning, I'm taking the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment