Friday, May 31, 2013

Underway, New England, 2013

So far, so good. After a hectic start, in which I had serious doubts about carrying everything on the clown bike (I think it will work), I crawled into the van and set off. Starting at 6:30 pm meant that I wouldn't arrive in Buffalo until 1:00 am. But that's when I was supposed to get on the train in Indiana, so instead of a night on the train, I had a night in Red Roof Inn. Much better.

I got all my stuff on the train and got myself installed in a seat. Now I'm enjoying a lovely train ride.
My bike, in its case, on the Lake Shore Limited.

LATER:
What a day. The train ride was great. Rolled in to Boston a little late, but not too late for the bus to Portland. But here's the problem: The bike in its soft bag is HEAVY and CUMBERSOME. I had to schlepp the huge bike bag and my big green duffel bag to the bus terminal next door, up and down stairs. I thought I'd die. And then when the bus arrived in Portland, I had to schlepp the ensemble from the bus terminal to the Clarion hotel. Not far, but far enough to make me swear I would never do it that way again. 

Rollers for the bike bag? A skateboard? Pack it in the suitcase and give up on camping so that I don't need to carry all the camping gear? Maybe. 

I was glad to get to my room at 12:30 am. I unpacked the bike to make sure I hadn't bent it in half. And I went to bed with my fingers crossed that everything would fit on the bike.
What was inside the bag
Assembled, loaded, ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment