Thursday, December 20, 2012

More Hi-Viz and Sun Protection

I continue to experiment with all things hi-viz. I like hi-viz t-shirts for riding in, but I don't like having my arms exposed to the sun for long periods. That crusty, leathery look can't be good; my startled doctor suggested maybe I should consider covering my arms.

For a number of summers I wore a long-sleeved, super lightweight Melanzana polyester base layer, but it only came in blue and tan, so I needed to wear a hot vest in order to be hi-viz. Then I switched to long-sleeved hi-viz biking jerseys, but they were, well, biking jerseys. The pockets in back are handy, but otherwise, not what I want. So last summer I tried out arm coolers, super-thin wicking fabric that stays cool even in heat. Worn with an ordinary hi-viz t-shirt, it has been a pretty nice solution.
 


So next summer I'm going to try another hi-viz/sun shade product, namely a neck shade that I can fasten to my helmet. It's designed for a hard hat, not a bicycle helmet, but it fits perfectly. And it's HI_VIZ! Perhaps it's enough hi-viz that I don't need to wear a hi-viz shirt! It's certainly dorky enough that I don't need to wear a big red nose in order to look like a clown.

http://www.gemplers.com/images/swatches/181299_ORANGE.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Bruce,
    I just finished reading all your blog posts from the beginning. It took me a few nights but it was time well spent. I really enjoyed the content and your writing style. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I agree with you on the value of wearing hi- viz gear. Seems like I was always dodging cars backing out of driveways until I started wearing lime green, much better now. I noticed you didn't use the baskets on your last tour. Why the switch back to panniers? Thanks again for great reading . Safe riding!
    Rick N.Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mostly it was for variety. I still like the baskets and shop sacks a lot, and will use them again. But since we needed to carry the bikes on a car rack and then start riding the same day, it seemed easier not to have the baskets mounted. (They complicate carrying the bike on a rack with another bike.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The neck shade looks like a Nomex Fire shroud I have for work. It's definitely hi-viz but the one I have is thick and hot and not to comfortable.
    You have a great blog, lot's of great info.

    ReplyDelete