Sunday, April 3, 2011

Studded Tires, Final Post of the Winter

I hope it is safe to say that I am done riding the slush mobile this winter. If so, what's the verdict on the studded tires?

I am convinced they help . . . some, although the Innova ones I bought are useless because the studs are "high carbon steel" rather than carbide, which is something completely different (harder). By the end of the winter the rear studs were ground down smooth, probably more slippery than no studs at all. Next winter I'll invest in some good carbide stud tires.

And did they prevent falls? I'd like to say yes, they prevented 23 falls, but how can I know that? What I do know is that I fell once this winter with the studs. I didn't fall last winter without studs. Hm. I do think the studs help, as long as I continue to ride defensively. (I fell because I hit an ice rut; there was nothing for the studs to grab onto.)

No comments:

Post a Comment