Thursday, November 12, 2009

Winter Is Coming

Today was the first day of winter temperatures (about 25˚). Since temperature dictates what I wear, I pulled out the winter gear: lined nylon wind pants over my regular pants, medium weight sweater over a long-sleeved (but lightweight) turtleneck, single-layer windbreaker, light polartec hat, wool neck gaiter, goggles (yes, I was wearing goggles in November--remember, winter temperatures, winter gear), medium heavy gloves (it would need to be closer to 20˚ for mittens), and (new this year) Tingley rubber overshoes over my dress shoes. (These overshoes are pretty nice, if dorky: 10" high, reasonably lightweight, totally wind and water proof, and inexpensive when you buy them here. They add lots of warmth. I got them for around $20, which is significantly cheaper than official biking shoe covers.)

Perhaps I was overdressed, but I was comfortable. That combination of turtleneck, sweater, and windbreaker is warm down to single digits. I probably should have worn a lightweight button-up longsleeve shirt.

I'm still riding the commuting/touring Trek, in all its dorked out glory. The Reelights are nice to have in the morning dusk. The B&M dynamo lights are nice to have at night. I'm getting Reelights for the slushmobile, too. They're a superior product.

I'm impressed with the Kenda Kwik Roller Holiday (stupid name) tires (38mm). They give a nice ride, and they're wearing beautifully, even after a summer of loaded touring and a fall of loaded commuting. So far, 2000 miles, no flats.

No comments:

Post a Comment